[Discuss] Simplifying User Permission Model
Imesh Gunaratne
2015-05-19 15:30:02 UTC
Hi Devs,

In this release we could not spend time on $subject. For simplicity shall
we refine it as follows:

Tenant Admin:
- User Management + All Stratos Features

Tenant User (User Role: Internal/user):
- All Stratos Features

Thanks
--
Imesh Gunaratne

Senior Technical Lead, WSO2
Committer & PMC Member, Apache Stratos
Vishanth Balasubramaniam
2015-05-19 15:32:50 UTC
+1
Post by Imesh Gunaratne
Hi Devs,
In this release we could not spend time on $subject. For simplicity shall
- User Management + All Stratos Features
- All Stratos Features
Thanks
--
Imesh Gunaratne
Senior Technical Lead, WSO2
Committer & PMC Member, Apache Stratos
--
*Vishanth Balasubramaniam*
Software Engineer
WSO2 Inc.; http://wso2.com
lean.enterprise.middleware

mobile: *+94771737718*
about me: *http://about.me/vishanth <http://about.me/vishanth>*
Pubudu Gunatilaka

mobile: +94 77 4078049
Dinithi De Silva
2015-05-19 15:37:06 UTC
+1 for simplifying user permission model
Post by Imesh Gunaratne
[...]
Associate Software Engineer, WSO2 Inc.
m:+94716667655 | e:***@wso2.com | w: www.wso2.com
Reka Thirunavukkarasu
2015-05-19 16:04:54 UTC
+1 for the approach.
--
Reka Thirunavukkarasu
Senior Software Engineer,
Mobile: +94776442007
Imesh Gunaratne
2015-05-20 04:41:16 UTC
Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Just to add to this, please note that the "Internal/user" is a default user
role that we ship with the product but users could create their own user
roles with the existing permission set and use.

Thanks
Post by Reka Thirunavukkarasu
+1 for the approach.
--
Reka Thirunavukkarasu
Senior Software Engineer,

Imesh Gunaratne
2015-05-20 15:35:40 UTC
Hi Devs,

As a part of this process I refined the Stratos permission set as follows:

\

*New Permission Resource Paths*

- /permission/stratos
- /permission/stratos/autoscalingPolicies
- /permission/stratos/autoscalingPolicies/manage
- /permission/stratos/autoscalingPolicies/view
- /permission/stratos/kubernetesClusters
- /permission/stratos/kubernetesClusters/manage
- /permission/stratos/kubernetesClusters/view
- /permission/stratos/applicationPolicies
- /permission/stratos/applicationPolicies/manage
- /permission/stratos/applicationPolicies/view
- /permission/stratos/cartridges
- /permission/stratos/cartridges/manage
- /permission/stratos/cartridges/view
- /permission/stratos/cartridgeGroups
- /permission/stratos/cartridgeGroups/manage
- /permission/stratos/cartridgeGroups/view
- /permission/stratos/deploymentPolicies
- /permission/stratos/deploymentPolicies/manage
- /permission/stratos/deploymentPolicies/view
- /permission/stratos/networkPartitions
- /permission/stratos/networkPartitions/manage
- /permission/stratos/networkPartitions/view
- /permission/stratos/applications
- /permission/stratos/applications/manage
- /permission/stratos/applications/view
- /permission/stratos/applicationSignUps
- /permission/stratos/applicationSignUps/manage
- /permission/stratos/applicationSignUps/view
- /permission/stratos/domainMappings
- /permission/stratos/domainMappings/manage
- /permission/stratos/domainMappings/view

*Changes Done*

- A new permissions set called "Stratos Permissions" was introduced to
isolate the Stratos specific permissions.
- For each Stratos entity two sub permissions were added: manage, view.
- The REST API was updated with the new permission resources.
- The Web UI was updated to correctly handle permissions for Super
Tenant Admin, Super Tenant User, Tenant Admin, Tenant User.

Thanks
​
--
Reka Thirunavukkarasu
Senior Software Engineer,

Imesh Gunaratne
2015-05-21 11:09:26 UTC
Hi Devs,

Today I found a problem in the above model where Tenant Admin is not able
to see the Stratos permission set because Tenant Admin is only allowed the
permission resource path "/permission/admin".

Therefore I moved the Stratos permission set to "/permission/admin/stratos":

​
Thanks
Post by Imesh Gunaratne
Hi Devs,
\
--
Reka Thirunavukkarasu
Senior Software Engineer,

Shavindri Dissanayake
2015-05-22 06:19:35 UTC
Hi Devs,

Based on the details discussed in the thread we have updated the wiki
mentioning that Stratos currently has a simplified user permission model
and that it can be customized accordingly. The user permission roles are
documented in [1].

[1]
https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/STRATOS/4.1.0+User+Roles+and+Permissions

Thanks & Regards
Shavindri Dissanayake
Technical Writer
LinkedIn Profile
<https://www.linkedin.com/profile/view?id=112227277&trk=nav_responsive_tab_profile>
Mob: 0779966739

WSO2 Inc.
Post by Imesh Gunaratne
Hi Devs,
Today I found a problem in the above model where Tenant Admin is not able
to see the Stratos permission set because Tenant Admin is only allowed the
permission resource path "/permission/admin".
Therefore I moved the Stratos permission set to
​
Thanks
Post by Imesh Gunaratne
Hi Devs,
\
--
Reka Thirunavukkarasu
Senior Software Engineer,
Imesh Gunaratne
2015-05-23 05:32:36 UTC
Hi Shavindri,

Thanks for updating it! I think according to the latest changes we need to
remove the sub Tenant user roles. The list of default user roles would be:

- Super Tenant Admin (All operations allowed)
- Super Tenant User (All operations except for manage/view tenants &
users allowed)
- Tenant Admin (All operations except for manage/view tenants allowed)

Post by Imesh Gunaratne
Hi Devs,
Today I found a problem in the above model where Tenant Admin is not able
to see the Stratos permission set because Tenant Admin is only allowed the
permission resource path "/permission/admin".
Therefore I moved the Stratos permission set to
​
Thanks
Post by Imesh Gunaratne
Hi Devs,
\
--
Reka Thirunavukkarasu
Senior Software Engineer,

Shavindri Dissanayake
2015-05-26 04:13:11 UTC
Thank you Imesh! Will update the docs accordingly.

Post by Imesh Gunaratne
Hi Shavindri,
Thanks for updating it! I think according to the latest changes we need to
- Super Tenant Admin (All operations allowed)
- Super Tenant User (All operations except for manage/view tenants &
users allowed)
- Tenant Admin (All operations except for manage/view tenants allowed)
- Tenant User (All operations except for manage/view tenants & users
allowed)
Thanks
Post by Imesh Gunaratne
Hi Devs,
Today I found a problem in the above model where Tenant Admin is not
able to see the Stratos permission set because Tenant Admin is only allowed
the permission resource path "/permission/admin".
Therefore I moved the Stratos permission set to
​
Thanks
Post by Imesh Gunaratne
Hi Devs,
\
--
Reka Thirunavukkarasu
Senior Software Engineer,
Chamila De Alwis
2015-05-19 15:36:03 UTC
+1 for this approach. Better to keep it simple.

Regards,
Chamila de Alwis
Software Engineer | WSO2 | +94772207163
Blog: code.chamiladealwis.com

Anuruddha Liyanarachchi
2015-05-19 15:37:12 UTC
+1 for simple model for this release.

Post by Imesh Gunaratne
Hi Devs,
In this release we could not spend time on $subject. For simplicity shall
- User Management + All Stratos Features
- All Stratos Features
Thanks
--
Imesh Gunaratne